Topic: Slow uigetfile with large number of remote folders in MATLAB path
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:41 PM

Steven Lord

Re: Slow uigetfile with large number of remote folders in MATLAB path

"Laurent Badel" <wawrzeniec@gmx.ch> wrote in message

*snip*

> Not exactly. What I meant is this. Usually, if you just type the name of a
> remote host in windows explorer, it will display all the shares on the
> remote computer. This works for all other computers on my network, except
> that one remote machine where I store my m-files (actually, it works from
> time to time, seemingly randomly, but most of the time it says the network
> resource is unaccessible). I've tried using wireshark to figure out what
> happens when it works/doesn't work, and I see the exact same sequence of
> events except that in response to the SMB packet described as "Bind:
> call_id: 2 Fragment: Single, 3 context items: SRVSVC V3.0 (32bit NDR),
> SRVSVC V3.0 (64bit NDR), SRVSVC V3.0 (bind time feature negotiation)"
> I get a "Write Response, Error: STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES" in trials
> where the connection fails. This is why I assume that the connection is
> somehow saturated, but I am not exactly an expert in networking (I know
> this seems completely unrelated to MATLAB, but I am trying to figure out
> whether the problem comes from MATLAB or from elsewhere).

If you're having trouble accessing the machine through Windows Explorer,
independent of MATLAB, I'd lean towards the root cause being "from
elsewhere" and I think your IT staff is the right group of people to talk to
about locating that root cause.

I'm not a networking expert either, but if this machine is the main
storehouse for lots of "utilities" used by many people at your organization,
it could be too many people are trying to access those utilities at once,
and MATLAB has to wait its turn. That's what the
STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES message suggests to me.

*snip*

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com