Topic: Low precision exponentiation
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 6:00 AM

Helen Read

Re: Low precision exponentiation

The problem is that you entered 2.5 as a machine precision number, so
you are only going to get machine precision output. The way to get high
precision output is to start with the exact 5/2 instead of the machine
precision 2.5.

N[(5/2)^125, 50]

In general, you should enter numbers into Mathematica exactly whenever
possible. Enter rational numbers as fractions, and don't use decimal
approximations for numbers like Pi or Sqrt[3]. Just put them in exactly,
and then you can use N[] to get the output to whatever precision you want.

Helen Read
University of Vermont