Topic: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog
Replies: 19   Last Post: Feb 19, 2013 1:09 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog

I quite agree it would be helpful to restore Ctrl+k, so that by turning
off the default setting that has autocompletion enabled, one could
request autocompletion only when wanted rather than either all the time
or never. In sort, never take anything away (except as a matter of utter
necessity).

For the record, Ctrl+Shift+k is what works on Windows (and Linux?); on
Mac it's Cmd+Shift+k.

On Feb 17, 2013, at 4:10 AM, djmpark <djmpark@comcast.net> wrote:

> To each his own. To me it's like constantly swatting away flies. I would
> prefer that WRI gave us the additional option of restoring Ctrl+K. After
> all, they have retained Ctrl+Shift+K.
>

> David Park
> djmpark@comcast.net
> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/index.html
>

> From: Murray Eisenberg [mailto:murrayeisenberg@gmail.com]
>

> To the contrary, I find the new (by default) auto-completion a significant
> improvement over having to use Ctrl+K. E.g., say I want to type
> ChiDistribution. I type 'Chi' and get the drop-down list of 3 possible
> completions. Only one of these 3 has 'D' as the next letter. So I just type
> 'D' and press Return. Mathematica completes the rest.
>
> That's a fairly short example. I've found that I can type long expressions,
> with many names in them (`System or `Global) much faster now.
>
> This helps makes up for Mathematica's verbose descriptive language, in
> contrast with languages where names are short but often cryptic.
>
> On Feb 16, 2013, at 1:10 AM, "djmpark" <djmpark@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> ...All the doo-dads are to me a nuisance. The one thing I liked was
>> the Ctrl+K (which I could type faster than you can say Jack Rabbit)

> command completion.
>> But now Ctrl+K is gone and what replaces it is ill-conceived and horrible.
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
> Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H)
> University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
> 710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

---