Topic: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog
Replies: 19   Last Post: Feb 19, 2013 1:09 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Stephen Wolfram's recent blog

Aha! I hadn't realized that Cmd+k (or Ctrl+k on Windows, I presume) is
automatically enabled if one turns off "Enable autocompletion" in
Preferences. Now we do seem to have the best of all possible worlds here.

On Feb 18, 2013, at 6:02 AM, Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that this option has always been there. Just go to
> Preferences:Interface and uncheck "Enable autocompletion". Then, at
> least on the Macintosh, Command+K works as before.
>
> Andrzej Kozlowski
>

> On 17 Feb 2013, at 10:10, djmpark <djmpark@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> To each his own. To me it's like constantly swatting away flies. I would
>> prefer that WRI gave us the additional option of restoring Ctrl+K. After
>> all, they have retained Ctrl+Shift+K.
>>

>> David Park
>> djmpark@comcast.net
>> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/index.html
>>

>> From: Murray Eisenberg [mailto:murrayeisenberg@gmail.com]
>>

>> To the contrary, I find the new (by default) auto-completion a significant
>> improvement over having to use Ctrl+K. E.g., say I want to type
>> ChiDistribution. I type 'Chi' and get the drop-down list of 3 possible
>> completions. Only one of these 3 has 'D' as the next letter. So I just type
>> 'D' and press Return. Mathematica completes the rest.
>>
>> That's a fairly short example. I've found that I can type long expressions,
>> with many names in them (`System or `Global) much faster now.
>>
>> This helps makes up for Mathematica's verbose descriptive language, in
>> contrast with languages where names are short but often cryptic.
>>
>> On Feb 16, 2013, at 1:10 AM, "djmpark" <djmpark@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>> ...All the doo-dads are to me a nuisance. The one thing I liked was
>>> the Ctrl+K (which I could type faster than you can say Jack Rabbit)

>> command completion.
>>> But now Ctrl+K is gone and what replaces it is ill-conceived and horrible.
>>
>> ---
>> Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
>> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
>> Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H)
>> University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
>> 710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
>> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

---