Topic: Use part of a cell/string
Replies: 7   Last Post: Feb 19, 2013 4:26 PM

dpb

Re: Use part of a cell/string

On 2/17/2013 7:50 PM, Claudia wrote:
> Thanks Maarten, exactly what I was just looking for.
>
> "Maarten" wrote in message <hj79am$grp$1@fred.mathworks.com>...

>> I got it!
>> I'll put it up here, for those who might wonder how it's done.
>>
>> if the 'L_500' is stored in d(1,3) you do it as follows:
>> a = char(d(1,3))
>> b = str2num(a(3:end))
>> now b is a double value.

...[please don't toppost--hard follow conversation makes]...

If the character substring is constant, one alternative--

c =
'L_200'
'L_500'
>> str2num(char(strrep(c,'L_','')))
ans =
200
500

or, you can avoid the cast to char() (and the hidden evalc() calls) by
using str2double instead of str2num--

>> str2double(strrep(c,'L_',''))
ans =
200