Topic: What is Art?
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 20, 2013 2:04 PM

Immortalist

Re: What is Art?

On Feb 19, 9:51 am, Kevin <barry196...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Art is a ploy to make people believe that you're entitled to the
> extravagent excess of money that you have in your possession. Ya know,
> I have empathy with people like the Amish... I comprehend people like
> the Amish but I'm nothing like the Amish, right? Being nothing like
> the Amish means that there is the same sort of tension that exists
> between myself and the Amish as exists between other people and the
> Amish... The Amish might believe that Rap music is a scourge on
> society... What might I say about it? (given the assumption that I
> should disagree (That's the rule, isn't it? I can follow the rules...
> Can you?)) Rap music is appreciated by women who are resilient... The
> more desirable woman is not resilient and doesn't care for Rap
> music... Rap music, by consensus, is an obsession that only society's
> biggest losers care about, therefore, while the Amish may be entitled
> to believe that Rap music is a scourge on society, the thing that I'm
> focused on is the notion that Rap music, Rock & Roll, and that dang
> blasted boogidy woogidy beat all belong in the same mixed bag. The
> Amish can't escalate Rap music being a scourge on society to include
> other forms of music that the Amish don't have a preferance for. Rap
> fans are fatalistic and many other things as well but it really isn't
> their fault... Structure doesn't exist that would enable societies
> disaffected masses from having the kind of life that they are entitled
> to have and it is due entirely to the abject failure of a government
> that refuses to get it's head out of it's own ass. The Big Devil is
> too big to exist... by way of extension, The Little Devil is too small
> to exist... The Little Devil is even smaller than The Virgin Mary?
> Believe it or Not!! Thanks, Amish... I, for one, appreciate you
> contributions to physics if nobody else does.

Is the mind, a software peacock's tail?

The mind is an entertainment system, evolved only for the purpose of
stimulating other brains. A software peacock's tail.

Why the human mind evolved? Intelligence is not a by-product of
surplus brain size, it actively evolved, like the peacock's tail, for
courtship and mating, and thereby shaped human nature.

Why does our species tell jokes, build monuments, compose sonatas,
give to charity, compete in sports, follow fashion? Our endless
inventiveness, our elaborate culture, seem to defy Darwinian
explanation. They are our sexual ornaments, our peacocks' tails,
displaying our value to potential mates.

Sexual selection theory rather than natural selection-- is a theory
about how the human mind has developed the sophistication of a
peacock's tail to encourage sexual choice and the refining of art,
morality, music, and literature. Mate choice, male or female may be
the reason we have art and possibly even the (self).

Why human brains have so much capacity for creativity, language, and
consciousness-- are not fully explained by Darwinian natural
selection, but sexual selection by mate choices for and by breeding
brutes. Sexual Selection, Darwin's 'other' theory, has finally come in
from the cold and is now one of the hottest topics in modern
Darwinism. The idea that the human mind evolved as a sort of software
peacock's tail has been mooted before, usually to be dismissed in
favor of some alternative theory...

http://www.amazon.com/Mating-Mind-Sexual-Choice-Evolution/dp/038549517X
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/miller/miller_p2.html
http://tinyurl.com/pwd7