Topic: Assignment of objects in Matlab OOP
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 19, 2013 1:21 PM

Steven Lord

Re: Assignment of objects in Matlab OOP

"JayTee " <d.tran@neu.edu> wrote in message
> I have an object A of a user-defined class.
> A.x = 1; A.y = 2;
> Now when I let B = A, any operation on B will also change the
> corresponding properties in A. So if I set B.x = 5, I get A.x = 5 as well.

That only happens if your class is a handle class, and that is the expected
and desired behavior for handle classes.

> Is there a way to overcome this? I would want to replicate some objects
> and then make modification to the new object's properties.

There are a couple approaches. The first, and probably simplest, is to make
your class a value class (NOT a handle class) if you want value semantics.
To do this, don't subclass handle.

The second approach is to make your handle class subclass from

If for some reason you need your object to be a handle and can't subclass
from matlab.mixin.Copyable you could always write your own copy or "clone"
method that decouples the original object and its copy.

Steve Lord