Topic: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Replies: 36   Last Post: Oct 4, 2013 6:26 PM

David Bernier

Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.

On 02/19/2013 02:52 PM, Robert Clark wrote:
> [...]

>>> 10,000. That's disturbingly unlikely.
>>> On the other hand if this really is just coincidence, then it should
>>> be kept in mind that chances this low have been quoted in regards to
>>> large asteroids impacting Earth in our lifetime.

> Here's the article by the Yale astronomer:
>
> A meteor and asteroid: 1 in 100 million odds.
> By Meg Urry, Special to CNN
> updated 8:16 PM EST, Mon February 18, 2013
> http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/16/opinion/urry-meteor-asteroid/index.html
>
> She states the two have very different orbits so they should be
> unrelated, but acknowledges that the very low probability of their
> both occurring so close to each other in time is puzzling.
> In view of the very real dangers that would arise IF it is the case
> they are related I think we should investigate some possible ways this
> could occur. What I mean by this is cases where we assume asteroids
> that make close approaches but do not impact, and therefore offer no
> threat, still could have associated fragments that do impact.
> One way is mentioned in the comment section to this NASA blog which
> shows the different orbits of the asteroid and the meteor:
>
> How Do We Know the Russian Meteor and 2012 DA14 Aren't Related?
> Posted on Feb 16, 2013 11:37:14 AM | William Cooke | 25 Comments |
> http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/Watch%20the%20Skies/posts/post_1361037562855.html
>
> First though, note there are many ways a fragment could be separated
> from the main asteroid. For instance some asteroids are "rubble
> piles", loosely held together by gravity. In this case collisions
> among the individual fragments could send a fragment away from the
> main asteroid body.
> Another is the obvious way of a collision with another asteroid or
> meteor.
> Still another would be outgassing of volatiles that provides another
> force to separate a fragment from the asteroid.
>
> Then once the fragment is separated from the asteroid, over time,
> since it was given some initial boost away and the asteroid gravity is
> so small, it will travel further and further away from the asteroid,
> though still in the same or close orbit. But the key point is
> depending on the direction the fragment is sent, once the asteroid
> comes around to the Earth or Moon or other planet on a close approach,
> that fragment could be much closer to that large gravitating body than
> the asteroid and therefore be sent on a different orbit.
> Then on subsequent orbits it could impact the gravitating body.
> Indeed it could even be captured by the gravitating body, such as the
> Earth, depending on the speed it is traveling with respect to the
> body. For instance asteroid 2012 DA14 was traveling at 18,641 mph,
> about 8.3 km/s on closest approach. At the distance it passed the
> Earth at 17,000 miles this is greater than escape velocity. But it's
> less than escape velocity at the Earth's surface. So a fragment that
> happened to be closer in to use on that closest approach could have

This is what I think: it's too early to conclude or speculate
that meteorites and asteroids now have an increased
chance of impacting earth, on average.

dave

--
dracut:/# lvm vgcfgrestore
File descriptor 9 (/.console_lock) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID

Date Subject Author
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Bernier
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Richard Tobin
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/27/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
10/3/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Staup
10/3/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Collins
10/4/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Staup
10/4/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Collins
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Davoud
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
3/6/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/6/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/9/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/7/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/11/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/11/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
3/15/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/22/13