Topic: What is Art?
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 20, 2013 2:04 PM

Don H

Re: What is Art?

"Kevin" <barry196263@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Art is a ploy to make people believe that you're entitled to the
> extravagent excess of money that you have in your possession. Ya know,
> I have empathy with people like the Amish... I comprehend people like
> the Amish but I'm nothing like the Amish, right? Being nothing like
> the Amish means that there is the same sort of tension that exists
> between myself and the Amish as exists between other people and the
> Amish... The Amish might believe that Rap music is a scourge on
> society... What might I say about it? (given the assumption that I
> should disagree (That's the rule, isn't it? I can follow the rules...
> Can you?)) Rap music is appreciated by women who are resilient... The
> more desirable woman is not resilient and doesn't care for Rap
> music... Rap music, by consensus, is an obsession that only society's
> biggest losers care about, therefore, while the Amish may be entitled
> to believe that Rap music is a scourge on society, the thing that I'm
> focused on is the notion that Rap music, Rock & Roll, and that dang
> blasted boogidy woogidy beat all belong in the same mixed bag. The
> Amish can't escalate Rap music being a scourge on society to include
> other forms of music that the Amish don't have a preferance for. Rap
> fans are fatalistic and many other things as well but it really isn't
> their fault... Structure doesn't exist that would enable societies
> disaffected masses from having the kind of life that they are entitled
> to have and it is due entirely to the abject failure of a government
> that refuses to get it's head out of it's own ass. The Big Devil is
> too big to exist... by way of extension, The Little Devil is too small
> to exist... The Little Devil is even smaller than The Virgin Mary?
> Believe it or Not!! Thanks, Amish... I, for one, appreciate you
> contributions to physics if nobody else does.

# Art is skill, and an artisan is someone skilled in some trade or ability.
Painting of portraits or landscapes was the only means (except sculpture)
of preserving a likeness, prior to advent of photography. Then came Modern
Art, where the only art involved is of the artful trying to con suckers out
of their money. Rock music and Free Verse do similar con jobs.
Is the Mona Lisa a good painting? You'd have to compare it with the
human it purports to represent to find out. How close is the likeness?