Topic: What is Art?
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 20, 2013 2:04 PM

Immortalist

Re: What is Art?

On Feb 19, 10:18 am, Kevin <barry196...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 12:03 pm, Immortalist <reanimater_2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 19, 9:51 am, Kevin <barry196...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Art is a ploy to make people believe that you're entitled to the
> > > extravagent excess of money that you have in your possession. Ya know,
> > > I have empathy with people like the Amish... I comprehend people like
> > > the Amish but I'm nothing like the Amish, right? Being nothing like
> > > the Amish means that there is the same sort of tension that exists
> > > between myself and the Amish as exists between other people and the
> > > Amish... The Amish might believe that Rap music is a scourge on
> > > society... What might I say about it? (given the assumption that I
> > > should disagree (That's the rule, isn't it? I can follow the rules...
> > > Can you?)) Rap music is appreciated by women who are resilient... The
> > > more desirable woman is not resilient and doesn't care for Rap
> > > music... Rap music, by consensus, is an obsession that only society's
> > > biggest losers care about, therefore, while the Amish may be entitled
> > > to believe that Rap music is a scourge on society, the thing that I'm
> > > focused on is the notion that Rap music, Rock & Roll, and that dang
> > > blasted boogidy woogidy beat all belong in the same mixed bag. The
> > > Amish can't escalate Rap music being a scourge on society to include
> > > other forms of music that the Amish don't have a preferance for. Rap
> > > fans are fatalistic and many other things as well but it really isn't
> > > their fault... Structure doesn't exist that would enable societies
> > > disaffected masses from having the kind of life that they are entitled
> > > to have and it is due entirely to the abject failure of a government
> > > that refuses to get it's head out of it's own ass. The Big Devil is
> > > too big to exist... by way of extension, The Little Devil is too small
> > > to exist... The Little Devil is even smaller than The Virgin Mary?
> > > Believe it or Not!! Thanks, Amish... I, for one, appreciate you
> > > contributions to physics if nobody else does.

> > Is the mind, a software peacock's tail?
>
> > The mind is an entertainment system, evolved only for the purpose of
> > stimulating other brains. A software peacock's tail.

> > Why the human mind evolved? Intelligence is not a by-product of
> > surplus brain size, it actively evolved, like the peacock's tail, for
> > courtship and mating, and thereby shaped human nature.

> > Why does our species tell jokes, build monuments, compose sonatas,
> > give to charity, compete in sports, follow fashion? Our endless
> > inventiveness, our elaborate culture, seem to defy Darwinian
> > explanation. They are our sexual ornaments, our peacocks' tails,
> > displaying our value to potential mates.

> > Sexual selection theory rather than natural selection-- is a theory
> > about how the human mind has developed the sophistication of a
> > peacock's tail to encourage sexual choice and the refining of art,
> > morality, music, and literature. Mate choice, male or female may be
> > the reason we have art and possibly even the (self).

> [...]

Recent research indicates that there are more than 100 separate brains
wishin the brain. E olutionary Psychologists refer to these brains as
modules but maybe your right and I am over-extending the analogy.

The mind is composed of a large number of mental modules each designed
to solve a specific problem. For example, there is one mechanism for
perceiving three dimensions, another for anger, another for falling in
love. The mind is like a Swiss Army knife; i.e., it has lots of
specialized tools. There is no such thing as general intelligence,
general learning, or any other general ability to solve problems.

http://www.csulb.edu/~kmacd/463evolpsyIQ.html

Evolutionary theory can help enormously with the problem of
"invisible" neural circuits and the inherent ambiguity of cognitive
and social psychological evidence for them.

Natural selection has mapped the
structure of the environment onto the
structure of organisms.

Gravity, carbon fuel sources like fats and carbohydrates and their
patchy distribution on the landscape, metabolic waste products,
toxins, pathogens, and temperature fluctuations ----have all been
mapped by natural selection onto the structure of the human organism
in the form of our bones, muscles, tendons, blood, intestines,
kidneys, liver, immune system, and sweat glands.

Evolutionary Psychology proposes that, exactly like the structure of
the rest of the human body, the structure of the human brain should
closely reflect the structure of the human Environment of Evolutionary
Adaptiveness.

Sunlight, acoustic oscillations, volatile compounds, foraging, mates,
dangerous animals, children, kin, social exchange, and group living
have all been mapped by natural selection onto the structure of the
human brain in the form of our visual, auditory, and olfaction
abilities; our ability to navigate; our sense of taste and our
preferences for foods; our sexual desires; our fears; our love of
children, relatives, and friends; our aversion to incest; and our
ability to detect cheaters and to form coalitions.

http://books.google.com/books?id=esDW3xTKoLIC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA145#v=onepage&q&f=false