Topic: Simulation for the standard deviation
Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 1, 2013 7:30 AM

Ray Koopman

Re: Simulation for the standard deviation

On Feb 23, 4:58 am, Cristiano <cristi...@NSgmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/02/2013 21:06, Ray Koopman wrote:

>>> Suppose I randomly pick 0.1, 0.4 and 0.2 (n = 3);
>>> what should I write to calculate a 99% confidence interval?

>> F(x) = 3 x^2 - 2 x^3 = p
>>
>> F(.941097) = .99
>>
>> SD >= (.4 - .1)/(.941097 * sqrt(12))

> That lower bound doesn't work.
> According to the practical definition of CI given here:
> http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda352.htm
> I wrote a simulation which counts how many times the sample SD
> exceeds the calculated lower bound.
> Using 10^6 trials and a confidence level of .9, I see that the
> calculated SD is greater than your lower bound 10^6 times, while
> the calculated SD is greater than my lower bound 900221 times
> (I find the confidence limits as explained in my original post).

To check a lower-bound estimation procedure, at each trial you
calculate the bound and compare it to the true value of the
parameter, not to the sample value of a point estimate of the
parameter. The bound should be less than the true value 100p%
of the time.

Date Subject Author
2/20/13
Read Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/21/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Richard Ulrich
2/21/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/21/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Richard Ulrich
2/22/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/22/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Richard Ulrich
2/21/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/22/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/22/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/22/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/23/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/23/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/23/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/24/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/24/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/24/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/25/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/25/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/25/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/25/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
David Jones
2/26/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/26/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
David Jones
2/27/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/27/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/28/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/28/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/28/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
3/1/13