Topic: Matheology § 222 Back to the roots
Replies: 606   Last Post: Apr 18, 2013 2:04 AM

Virgil

Re: Matheology � 222 Back to the roots

In article
<84bc987e-e71b-4cb3-a631-25e8a31cd5bf@u20g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > The mapping is bijective and linear.

The function in question was the mapping between the set of all paths
(as binary strings) of a Complete Infinite Binary Tree to the set of all
subsets of |N in which for each path the function produces the set of
all naturally numbers of those levels in the tree at which that path
branches left.

This produces a bijection , though not a linear mapping, between the
uncountable set of paths and the uncountable set of subsets of |N.

> > There is certainly no meaning of "linear" in English
> > mathematics that is appropriate.

> Then use German mathematics. There it is.
>
> f(ax + by) = af(x) + bf(y)

With suitable interpretations for f, a, b, x and y, this would makes f a
linear function.

But if f is to be a mapping between the set of all paths of a Complete
Infinite Binary Tree and the set of all subsets of |N, which is the only
sort of mapping under consideration when WM claimed linearity, I defy WM
to come up with an appropriate definition of a,b,x and y which will make
such an f a linear mapping.

> f(string) = path

> > > This shows a contradiction
> > > - at least in case someone accepts
> > > Hessenberg's trick as part of mathematics.

> > To which Hessenberg, Karl or Gerard or some other one, does WM refer?

> That one who "proved" the uncountability of P(|N), Gerhard that is.

> > And to what alleged "tricks"?

> To look for a set that cannot exist.

What prevents it from existing?

Remember, WM, that the vast majority of the world does not force itself
to work under the artificial constraints of your WMytheology .

For small enough sets, S, and functions f from S to its power set P(S),
one can easily, for any such function, f, find an explicit member of
P(S) not in the image of f.

And as the size of S increases, so does the number of necessarily
non-image sets for any f:S -> 2^S.

For any finite set, S, of cardinality n, the cardinality of its power
set, P(S), is 2^n, so there will always be 2^n-n sets in P(S) not in the
image of any function from S to P(S).

When S is allowed to be actually infinite, as it is in all standard
math, like ZF or NBG, then P(S) becomes actually uncountable.
--

Date Subject Author
2/7/13
Read Matheology § 222 Back to the roots