Topic: Matheology § 222 Back to the roots
Replies: 606   Last Post: Apr 18, 2013 2:04 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: Matheology § 222 Back to the roots

On 24 Feb., 01:19, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:

> > >  There is certainly no meaning of "linear" in English
> > > mathematics that is appropriate.

> > Then use German mathematics. There it is.
>
> > f(ax + by) = af(x) + bf(y)
>
> With suitable interpretations for f, a, b, x and y, this would makes f a
> linear function.

It is not hard to find this interpretation in mathematics.

> But if f is to be a mapping between the set of all paths of a Complete
> Infinite Binary Tree and the set of all subsets of |N, which is the only
> sort of mapping under consideration when WM claimed linearity, I defy WM
> to come up with an appropriate definition of a,b,x and y which will make
> such an f a linear mapping.

Two binary strings are treated like two real numbers. In fact they are
nothing but representations of real numbers.

> > f(string) = path

> > > To which Hessenberg, Karl or Gerard or some other one, does WM refer?
>
> > That one who "proved" the uncountability of P(|N), Gerhard that is.
>
> > > And to what alleged "tricks"?
>
> > To look for a set that cannot exist.
>
> What prevents it from existing?

Simplest logic. Try to find a set that contains its number if it does
not contain its number. Isn't that simple?

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
2/7/13
Read Matheology § 222 Back to the roots