Topic: Matheology § 222 Back to the roots
Replies: 606   Last Post: Apr 18, 2013 2:04 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: Matheology § 222 Back to the roots

On 24 Feb., 15:56, William Hughes <wpihug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, when WM says that a natural number m does not
> exist, he may mean that you can prove it exists
> but you cannot find it.
>
> Suppose that P is a predicate such that
> for every natural number m, P(m) is true.

Example: Every line of the list L

1
1, 2
1, 2, 3

contains all its predecessors.

> Let x be a natural number such that
> P(x) is false. According to WM you cannot
> prove that x does not exist.  (WM
> rejects the obvious proof by contradiction:
>
>      Assume a natural number, x, such that P(x)
>      is false exists.
>      call it k
>      Then P(k) is both true and false.
>      Contradiction,  Thus the original assumption
>      is false and no natural number, x, such
>      that P(x) is false exists)
>
> We will say that x is an unfindable natural
> number.
>
> It is interesting to note that WM agrees with
> the usual results if you insert the term findable.
>
> E.g.
>
> There is no findable last element of the potentially
> infinite set |N.
>
> There is no findable index to a line of L that
> contains d.
>
> There is no ball with a findable index in the vase.
>
> etc.
>
> It does not really matter if nonfindable natural
> numbers exist or not. They have no effect.
>
> I suggest we give WM a teddy bear marked unfindable.

I suggest, William keeps abd comforts it until he can find the first
line of L that is not capable of containing everthing that its
predecessors contain.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
2/7/13