Topic: Problems with Infinity?
Replies: 72   Last Post: Apr 12, 2013 1:36 PM

David DeLaney

Re: Problems with Infinity?

Wayne Throop <throopw@sheol.org> wrote:
> Or how about the dropping-into-a-tunnel-while-time-related-things-
> such-as-clocks-and-calendars-drift-by? I think one of the Teen
> Titan's episodes qualifies, but I've seen it in visual depictions
> all over the place, and I've seen other folks commenting on the
> peculiarity of it. (The New Who tunnels are better, but I digress)

Also used quite extensively back when Superboy was travelling regularly to the
30th century, UNDER HIS OWN POWER, and back, to hang out with the Legion of
Super-Heroes. Though there what drifted by were cylindrical rainbow-colored
bands on the surface of the tunnel, so maybe there's things about the
transition period that the Comics Code would demand get left out of children's
comix...

> But how about the "reset an enchanted (and/or
> nanotech) clock, and resetting the time it displays resets the
> universe" (or some subset thereof)? Where's the sense in that?

The Girl, The Gold Watch, and Everything, as well as Rowling's time-turners...

> But sadly, we'll never know the outcome of the Big-E vs
> the Space Nazis, and whether it involved Alternate Time Lines
> (of which the final state is aware), ATL (which get wiped out and
> is just an authorial device), or It Was Always Like That.

It can perfectly well involve both kinds of alternate time lines AND end up
that It Was Always Like That. Time travel's wibbly-wobbly that way. Note that
the latter does NOT mean that it was _always_ Always Like That...

Dave

Date Subject Author
2/24/13
Read Problems with Infinity?
[...]
[...]