Topic: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Replies: 36   Last Post: Oct 4, 2013 6:26 PM

Robert Clark

Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.

On Feb 23, 6:09 pm, Robert Clark <rgregorycl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 3:27 pm, Robert Clark <rgregorycl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > ..
> > The 2029 close approach of the near Earth asteroid Apophis means this
> > is a question that needs to be determined definitively. It also like
> > 2012 DA14 is expected to come so close as to get inside the ring of
> > geosynchronous satellites, but not impact. Apophis is so large though
> > that, unlike 2012 DA14 , on closest approach it will even be visible
> > to the naked eye. If it is the case that it can be accompanied by
> > fragments that do impact then that is potentially very serious because
> > its larger size means it would likely be accompanied by larger
> > fragments.
> > To answer this question a statistical study needs to be made both of
> > the Air Force infrasound detectors and the space radar detections to
> > find whether on the 2012 DA14 close approach or on other previous
> > close approaches whether there was an increase in meteor hits.

> Meteor expert Clark Chapman and former astronaut Rusty Schweickart
> urge U.S. military to re-initiate sharing of satellite detections of
> meteor impacts:
>
> Russian Meteor Fallout: Military Satellite Data Should Be Shared.
> by Leonard David, SPACE.com?s Space Insider Columnist
> Date: 18 February 2013 Time: 09:03 AM EThttp://www.space.com/19846-russian-meteor-fallout-military-satellites...
>
> From links in the article, the military formerly did share this
> information but the policy was changed in 2009. This is important
> because the satellites reportedly have the capability to detect
> meteors down to 1 meter wide and below. This would well have the
> capability to determine if close asteroid flybys result in increased
> meteor impacts.
>
> Bob Clark

That video I linked to previously and ones like it may also be able
to address this question:

An Asteroid's Parting Shot.
By Phil Plait
Posted Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2013, at 8:00 AM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/02/19/near_earth_asteroid_2012_da14_seen_in_time_lapse_video.html

The video shows 2012 DA14 slowing moving through the frame, and
meteors and artificial satellites streaking rapidly through the frame.
Assuming we are able to distinguish the satellites, perhaps by
knowing already their positions, perhaps we can determine if the
number of meteors shown here are higher than normal.
Better would be longer exposures that include at least the time
period of the Russian meteor impact.

Bob Clark

Date Subject Author
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Bernier
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Richard Tobin
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/27/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
10/3/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Staup
10/3/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Collins
10/4/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Staup
10/4/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Collins
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Davoud
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
3/6/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/6/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/9/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/7/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/11/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/11/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
3/15/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/22/13