Topic: Maxima - simplification/evaluation
Replies: 5   Last Post: Mar 1, 2013 2:24 PM

Richard Fateman

Re: Maxima - simplification/evaluation

On 2/27/2013 3:32 AM, Mate wrote:
> In Maxima, the single quote operator ' does not
> prevent evaluation for '(2*3); this _is_ evaluated to 6.

No, 2*3 is simplified to 6.

> We can set
>
> simpl:false;
> n : 2*3;

that would be simp:false.

> to keep n unevaluated

no, n is unsimplified. It is evaluated though the evaluation
leaves it unchanged.
try x:2
n:x*3
to see that n is evaluated.

but the function factor(6)
> which also returns an unevaluated 2*3,
no, it is marked as already simplified by the factor command.
try
factor(6);
?print(%);

uses some other method
> because simp is not involved.

Wrong again. The simplifier notices that there is a "simp"
flag on the expression, and so it is not simplified to 6.

> Does somebody here know something about this?

> (I would be interested in a "pure Maxima" solution, without Lisp.)

If you said what your objective was, perhaps a solution is possible.
You haven't said what you that is.

If you want to see 2*3 displayed, you could do print("2*3");

While it is possible to turn the simplifier off by simp:false,
it is almost always a terrible idea.

RJF