Topic: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Replies: 36   Last Post: Oct 4, 2013 6:26 PM

bradguth@gmail.com

Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.

On Feb 28, 11:38 am, Robert Clark <rgregorycl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

> are controversial, however. Even Halliday recognized some big
> statistical uncertainties in his results."
> ...http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/22feb_febru...
>
>  Note this was from last year, not this year in regard to this
> February's  unusual meteor and asteroid encounters. But what's key is
> the article notes this has been noticed in other February's.
>  The article suggests greater number of fireballs in February. It also
> mentions they are typically slow, long-lasting, and penetrate deep in
> the atmosphere. I don't know about the slow part, but the long-lasting
> and deep penetration aspects could be due to larger meteors during
> February's.
>  If there is an association with the 2012 DA14 asteroid, then since
> it  has approximately a year long orbit, this could explain why the
> fireballs  are seen frequently in February. Note it was discovered
> last year in February also during a close approach.
>  Also notable as Steve Willner mentioned the two orbital crossings
> could result in rather close approaches on the second crossing as
> well:
>
> On Feb 26, 1:56 pm, will...@cfa.harvard.edu (Steve Willner) wrote:

> > >  Does this mean there are two close approaches per orbit? It doesn't
> > > necessarily have to be since where the two orbits "cross" does not
> > > mean the two bodies have to be there at the same time.

> > Yes, exactly.  Typically one body will be far away when the other is
> > near a crossing point.

> > >  if they are close at one "crossing" point, they should be
> > > relatively close at the other.

> > About half a day away at the next crossing point, given the period of
> > 366.24 days.  That's about 400 Earth radii if I've done the
> > arithmetic right.  The distance is cumulative, so a simple estimate
> > is that it will take another 366 years (365 orbits for the asteroid)
> > before there's another close approach.  However, the recent Earth
> > encounter must have changed the orbit, so the simple estimate is
> > probably wrong.  There are also likely to be non-gravitational
> > effects.  This object is probably not one to worry about in the near
> > term, but this sort of rough estimate is no substitute for a proper
> > orbit calculation.

>  This could explain the observation of Halliday that there seems to be
> a  statistical increase also in late Summer and Fall.
>
>  In any case, the Air Force needs to release its satellite detections
> of these fireballs. For one thing they might be able to detect the
> meteors before they have any appreciable interaction with the
> atmosphere. For large meteors, of oblong shape, the atmospheric
> interaction could alter their direction, thus giving a misleading
> interpretation of their original orbits.
>
>  For many people the Air Force not sharing all the technical means at
> its disposal led to the loss of the shuttle Columbia crew. It must not
> be said that its keeping its meteor detections capability secret led

Since when do mainstream oligarchs care about the rest of us?

Date Subject Author
2/19/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Bernier
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Richard Tobin
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/20/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/27/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
10/3/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Staup
10/3/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Collins
10/4/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same
time.
David Staup
10/4/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Mike Collins
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Davoud
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
2/28/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Greg \(Strider\) Moore
3/6/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/6/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/9/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
3/7/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/11/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/11/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Fred J. McCall
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Robert Clark
3/12/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
Jeff Findley
3/15/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/23/13
Read Re: Coincidence of meteor strike and close asteroid approach at same time.
bradguth@gmail.com
2/22/13