Topic: A Better Number System
Replies: 3   Last Post: Mar 6, 2013 1:33 PM

David Bernier

Re: A Better Number System

On 03/01/2013 12:25 AM, Hurtlin' Squirty wrote:
> On 02/28/2013 05:32 PM, Tom Potter wrote:
>> A Better Number System
>> It is my perception that currently defined number
>> systems, including naturals, integers, reals, complex,
>> surreals, etc, present distorted views of reality,
>> are inefficient, and express quantities with
>> variable and too much uncertainty.

> That's because of the units involved. Hidden units distort our views.
> For example, my truck will go about 16 miles on a gallon of gas, which
> seems not so good. But what does that really mean?
> Let's simplify:
> (16 miles) / (1 gallon of gas)
> (1013760 inches) / (231 cubic inches of gas)
> (1013760) / (231 square inches of gas)
> 4388 / square inch of gas
> Now we see that the truck manages an impressive 4388 of something on
> just one square inch of gas! Without question, 4388 is a big number. And
> a square inch of gas is pretty thin. Probably one molecule deep. Almost
> nothing.

Great for a headline, suffusing and diffusing optimism
to the masses! Progress forever!
Wall Street up!

dracut:/# lvm vgcfgrestore
File descriptor 9 (/.console_lock) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID
993: sh
Please specify a *single* volume group to restore.