The Math Forum

Topic: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using
the arrow

Replies: 16   Last Post: Mar 4, 2013 1:53 PM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow

On 3/1/2013 6:26 PM, dpb wrote:
> On 3/1/2013 5:06 PM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
>

> Didn't said it can't be done by the app; only that the OS API doesn't
> support it directly at that level (at least in the level of the SDK I
> have installed--I didn't look at more recent documentation). Matlab
> mirrors the API interface.

I do not know anything about Matlab SDK and such.
My point is that, Matlab uicontrol sits in the middle
of the user and the OS. Hence this rounding/fixing up
can be done by the UIcontrol itself even if the OS API
does not support it.

user --> UIcontrol Slider ---> OS call

(I thought Matlab use Java internally for the GUI?)

Matlab has control of what code goes into the UIcontrol.
Hence it can adjust for shortcoming of the OS call if
the OS call to native slider calls do not support those
increments. Again, the UIcontrol slider has all the information
it needs to do the rounding such that it keeps the
increments as specified by the minor step values.

I wonder how other GUI handles this, like Java swing, C# UISlider
and such. They must have the same issue.

--Nasser

Date Subject Author
3/1/13
Read Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using
the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow
Doug Schwarz
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/3/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow
Doug Schwarz
3/3/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/4/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
matt dash
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/4/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow
Steven Lord