The Math Forum

Topic: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using
the arrow

Replies: 16   Last Post: Mar 4, 2013 1:53 PM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow

On 3/2/2013 3:18 PM, Doug Schwarz wrote:

> Think of it this way: the way it is now you can get what
> you want,

No. The way it is now is NOT what I want. That is the point.

I wanted it to move by the granularity I specified. That
is what the minor/major ticks are supposed to be for.

What is the point of going into all this pain to specify
the exact steps the slider should move by, if all this will
be thrown out the minute the user touches the slider and move
it directly using the mouse?

>but if the change you want is made, it will be impossible to
> have a smaller increment than the minor step.

That is what design stage is for.

At the design stage, you decide the minimum granularity you want
for your application to process as input and make the slider to
change by these increments.

>In other words, the
> slider will have *less* functionality than it does now.

No, it will then have the EXACT same functionality I specified.
it will be less random.

But a simple solution can exist: Have an option in the API to this
UIcontrol to specify which way it should behave.

So those who want deterministic behavior can choose that, and those
who do not can choose that.

Currently the way it works is broken IMNSHO. It forces the
user who wants the slider to move only by certain minimum steps
to do rounding on their end, when this was what the minor/major
steps settings was supposed to do.

--Nasser

Date Subject Author
3/1/13
Read Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using
the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/1/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow
Doug Schwarz
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/3/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow
Doug Schwarz
3/3/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/4/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
matt dash
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/4/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow
Steven Lord