The Math Forum

Topic: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using
the arrow

Replies: 16   Last Post: Mar 4, 2013 1:53 PM

dpb

Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow

On 3/2/2013 3:18 PM, Doug Schwarz wrote:
> In article<kgrl49$av9$1@speranza.aioe.org>, dpb<none@non.net> wrote:
>> On 3/1/2013 6:46 PM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

>>> ... Matlab uicontrol sits in the middle
>>> of the user and the OS. Hence this rounding/fixing up
>>> can be done by the UIcontrol itself even if the OS API
>>> does not support it.

>> Well, yes, that's what I just said--that it (ML) _could_ but it rather
>> simply reflects the behavior of the OS control (at least on Windows).
>>
>> If you think it's important enough, file an enhancement request w/ TMW.

> In my opinion it would be a detriment request.

I didn't suggest I thought he'd have much of an audience or likely get
TMW to adopt it... :)

> Nasser, you seem so certain that the slider operation should be the way
> you want, but in my opinion it is correct now with three possible
> increments. Think of it this way: the way it is now you can get what
> you want, but if the change you want is made, it will be impossible to
> have a smaller increment than the minor step. In other words, the
> slider will have *less* functionality than it does now.

Not to mention it would break the expected behavior users know from
other Windows apps where they can typically move the slider itself to
obtain yet more granularity than provided by the arrow/keyboard.

--

Date Subject Author
3/1/13
[...]
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow
Doug Schwarz
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/3/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow
Doug Schwarz
3/3/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/4/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
matt dash
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
dpb
3/2/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs.
using the arrow
Nasser Abbasi
3/4/13
Read Re: Slider step, value does not agree with setting when sliding vs. using the arrow
Steven Lord