Topic: |R| > oo
Replies: 26   Last Post: Mar 8, 2013 8:55 PM

Graham Cooper

Re: |R| > oo

On Mar 3, 1:05 pm, "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mar 2, 3:01 pm, Graham Cooper <grahamcoop...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 3, 7:35 am, "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > How would you establish that the expansions you begin to detail would
> > > map on to any segment of R?

> > > Well, that gets into whether the function, that makes a list these
> > > expansions, has as a range, an interval of reals.

> > > So, look at the equivalency function, as I call it, it's quite well-
> > > defined, it goes to one, and in binary there's only one anti-diagonal,
> > > and it's one.

> > > I'll agree that a more carefully defined function, that would have as
> > > each initial segment of each initial segment, of a matrix of values of
> > > the expansions, zeroes, with the only anti-diagonal in binary being
> > > ones, with real value one, may go from zero, to one.

> > > And:  only one does.
>
> > > Then, for a conscientious mathematician, formalist year-round, that's
> > > compelling.

> > > There are lots who would work in foundations, but transfinite
> > > cardinals aren't used in real analysis, or continuum analysis for
> > > applications and physics.  And, physics needs new methods to explain
> > > results of experiment.  And, results in the digital are available via
> > > asymptotics.  Good day.

> > > Regards,
>
> > > Ross Finlayson
>
> > So your argument is:

> > Given this sample of a list oo rows long IN BINARY
>
> > 0.00..
> > 0.00..
> > ..

> > We know 0.11..
> > is missing from the List by Extrapolation over all digit positions.

> > Given this sample of a list oo rows long IN TERNARY
>
> > 0.00..
> > 0.00..
> > ..

> > We know
> > 0.11..
> > 0.12..
> > 0.21..
> > 0.22..

> > are missing from the List by Extrapolation.

> > Given this sample of a list oo rows long IN BASE 4
>
> > 0.00..
> > 0.00..
> > ..

> > We know
> > 0.11..
> > 0.12..
> > 0.13..
> > 0.21..
> > 0.22..
> > 0.23..
> > 0.31..
> > 0.32..
> > 0.33...

> > are missing from the List by Extrapolation.

> > Since all above arguments must hold, the latter more absurd ones are
> > enough to throw doubt on Cantors Method - which is actually just
> > induction over ALL sizes of FINITE lists, since no_new_digit_string is
> > calculated in the Anti-Diagonal on some infinite lists of reals.

> > Herc
> [...]

You are still left with the Absurdity that given only the following
information

0.00...
0.00..
..

in Decimal, 80 different reals are calculated USING_CANTORS_METHOD
that are "missing" from that List.

The Method applied is "anything-but-that-digit" or NOT(DIGIT)
which does look more rigorous in Binary, but you don't get
to select which base a general proof on reals looks ok in.

----------------------------

I am expanding logic into Natural Language and the central reasoning
heuristic seems to be

NOT ALL == SOME DON'T

!(ALL(X) p(X)) <-> EXIST(X) ~p(X)

I already programmed Prolog to solve that Not All Natural Numbers are
Even by finding a Natural Odd number s(0), a counterexample.

e(A, not(evens)) <- e(A, odds)

I'm now looking at :
NOT(EVERYTIME(X)) event(...) <-> SOMETIMES( Opposite(event))
(NOT(EASY) method) <-> SOMETIMES(hard, method)

Also TOO(BIG) seems to work like NOT(BIG)

and TOO(LATE) et al in Temporal Logic.

-------------------------------

I mention this as not can work with discrete sets

color( C, not(red) ) <- color( C, blue)
color( C, not(red) ) <- color( C, green)

where NOT(COLORS) have multiple possible values.

this is like moving to a higher base,

although

digit( D , not(0) ) <- digit( D, 1 )

and ANTI-NUMBERS is not likely to help the dismal array of |R|>oo
believers...

the main argument will always be that a SET of REALS has infinite
possible paths

from digit1 to digit1 to ....

the scope of anti(digits) to select one from oo many choices is far
greater than the base.

Herc
--
www.BLoCKPROLOG.com