Topic: Cardinality of turning wheel
Replies: 43   Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 1:55 AM

quasi

Re: Cardinality of turning wheel

netzweltler wrote:
>quasi wrote:
>> netzweltler wrote:
>> >What is the cardinality of the number of revolutions of a
>> >turning wheel, if there is no beginning and no end to it?

>> For a wheel revolving forever (both past and future), the
>> set of revolutions is in one-to-one correspondence with the
>> set of integers, hence has cardinality aleph-0.

>Is this still true, if the wheel is revolving at infinite
>speed, meaning, that we can see at least one revolution no
>matter how small the time we are watching it?

That's totally inconsistent with my intuition about velocity
and time.

I assumed that instants of time could be represented
one-to-one as points on the real number line, and that there
exist real numbers a,b with 0 < a <= b such that at any
instant of time, the velocity v of the wheel, expressed in
revolutions per unit time, is between a and b inclusive.

quasi

Date Subject Author
3/2/13
Read Cardinality of turning wheel