Topic: Matheology § 222 Back to the roots
Replies: 606   Last Post: Apr 18, 2013 2:04 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: Matheology § 222 Back to the roots

On 2 Mrz., 23:18, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:

> So that in WM's world there is a largest natural number whose value is
> variable and dependent on many factors, so that it may sometimes be
> increasing and sometimes decreasing.

The alternaive is a completed infinity that allows for a union of
subsets that contains more than all its proper subsets. That is
obviously a contradiction with mathematics. It is as wrong as the
claim that the list
1
1, 2
1, 2, 3
contains all natural numbers in the first line, not so obvious a
contradiction though for people who lack logical capabilities.

> In the world of the majority, it is your potential infiniteness, not our
> actual infiniteness, that is self contradictory.

In the world of people who lack logical capabilities many amazing
things can happen.

> In our world every natural is required to have a successor, whereas in
> WM's world  there must always be a natural not having any successor,
> though no one can say which one it is.
>

> > But there are all FIS of d, which must be in infinitely many different
> > lines of the complete list.

> if there are all of them,

There cannot be all.

> > And we have a contradiction with analysis. Compare "The Paradox of
> > Tristram Shandy", PlanetMathOrg (2012)

> Only fools like WM ever expect Tristam to finish recording his whole
> life.

The same fools expect by the same argument that all rational numbers
can be enumerated.

> > Two proofs against actual infinity. In addition there is the Binary
> > Tree which has not more than infinitely (aleph_0) paths that can be
> > distinguished even by infinite strings (with aleph_0 bits each).

> But the set of all such paths has uncountably many paths that one will
> never be able to list.

Since infinite paths do not exist other than by finite command.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
2/7/13
Read Matheology § 222 Back to the roots