Topic: |R| > oo
Replies: 26   Last Post: Mar 8, 2013 8:55 PM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: |R| > oo

On Mar 2, 7:05 pm, "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mar 2, 3:01 pm, Graham Cooper <grahamcoop...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 3, 7:35 am, "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > How would you establish that the expansions you begin to detail would
> > > map on to any segment of R?

> > > Well, that gets into whether the function, that makes a list these
> > > expansions, has as a range, an interval of reals.

> > > So, look at the equivalency function, as I call it, it's quite well-
> > > defined, it goes to one, and in binary there's only one anti-diagonal,
> > > and it's one.

> > > I'll agree that a more carefully defined function, that would have as
> > > each initial segment of each initial segment, of a matrix of values of
> > > the expansions, zeroes, with the only anti-diagonal in binary being
> > > ones, with real value one, may go from zero, to one.

> > > And:  only one does.
>
> > > Then, for a conscientious mathematician, formalist year-round, that's
> > > compelling.

> > > There are lots who would work in foundations, but transfinite
> > > cardinals aren't used in real analysis, or continuum analysis for
> > > applications and physics.  And, physics needs new methods to explain
> > > results of experiment.  And, results in the digital are available via
> > > asymptotics.  Good day.

> > > Regards,
>
> > > Ross Finlayson
>
> > So your argument is:

> > Given this sample of a list oo rows long IN BINARY
>
> > 0.00..
> > 0.00..
> > ..

> > We know 0.11..
> > is missing from the List by Extrapolation over all digit positions.

> > Given this sample of a list oo rows long IN TERNARY
>
> > 0.00..
> > 0.00..
> > ..

> > We know
> > 0.11..
> > 0.12..
> > 0.21..
> > 0.22..

> > are missing from the List by Extrapolation.

> > Given this sample of a list oo rows long IN BASE 4
>
> > 0.00..
> > 0.00..
> > ..

> > We know
> > 0.11..
> > 0.12..
> > 0.13..
> > 0.21..
> > 0.22..
> > 0.23..
> > 0.31..
> > 0.32..
> > 0.33...

> > are missing from the List by Extrapolation.

> > Since all above arguments must hold, the latter more absurd ones are
> > enough to throw doubt on Cantors Method - which is actually just
> > induction over ALL sizes of FINITE lists, since no_new_digit_string is
> > calculated in the Anti-Diagonal on some infinite lists of reals.

> > Herc
> [...]

Here it is simple that
a) the antidiagonal result and
b) the nested interval result
are each proofs by contradiction, that "not exists" f: N <-> R_[0,1]
because
a) an antidiagonal would not be in the range of the function and
b) nested intervals from iterating (induction) over the range would
not meet.
With this simple function EF, neither a nor b result. Then, as to the
positive proof that f is onto the unit interval of reals, has a simple
development when it's not already so disqualified, as for example from
definitions of continuity.

Draw a line from zero to one, an infinity of points were covered, and
they were.

If anybody here knows an application of transfinite cardinals to
physics, it would be of tremendous interest to the community.

Applications of the polydimensional infinite to physics, for what it
is, would be of tremendous interest, to a scientific community.

Applications of continuum mechanics, or continuum analysis, or real
analysis: see real analysis as the foundation of our physics. The
linear continuum, which is all the real numbers, in a theory where
logic and mathematics explain causality and there is causality, would
see its features manifest, in the scientifically grand experiment, and
tractable to thought.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson