Topic: Cardinality of turning wheel
Replies: 43   Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 1:55 AM

quasi

Re: Cardinality of turning wheel

Frederick Williams wrote:
>quasi wrote:
>> netzweltler wrote:
>> >
>> >Meaning, that the notion of infinite speed is nonsense,
>> >right?

>> Well, I surely don't know how to make sense of it (but
>> I'm willing to be educated).

>Would it do to say that if a material object moved a non-zero
>distance instantaneously, then it moved with infinite speed?

So let's say a particle starts at x=0 on the x-axis and moves
at infinite speed to the right, arriving "instantaneously" at
x=1. But then it also arrives at x=2 just as instantaneously.
In fact, it arrives at every positive x-value in the same
instant. So what is the position of the particle at time t=0?
And where is the particle at time t=1?

It seems to me that the concept of infinite speed violates the
intuitive notion of time and space -- that is, it goes against
the notion that any given particle at a given time has one and
only location in space. I think that intuitive notion is so
compelling that it should not be abandoned so casually.

Thus, I would forget about infinite speed unless I could be
convinced that the advantages of having such a concept outweigh
the blatant disadvantage of losing our intuitive notions
(essentially axiomatic notions) about time and space.

quasi

Date Subject Author
3/2/13
Read Cardinality of turning wheel