Topic: Mathematica and Lisp
Replies: 83   Last Post: Mar 5, 2013 10:12 PM

Richard Fateman

Re: Mathematica and Lisp

On 3/3/2013 7:58 PM, John Doty wrote:
> On Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:21:31 AM UTC-7, Richard Fateman wrote:
>

>> C is not my favorite programming language .. see
>>
>> www.cs.berkeley.edu/~fateman/papers/software.pdf

> But in many cases it *is* the favorite language of people with real problems to solve.

For sure it is the favorite programming language of people who know
no other programming language.

It is certainly possible to write programs that have bugs or are
hard to understand in Lisp. For example, one cause of bugs is
that the programmer is incompetent.

I think that article
is clear enough about how certain common errors in C programs
simply cannot happen in some other programming languages.

There are bugs that occur in EF that are probably impossible
to exhibit in any other programming language. Some of them
ready to bite the unwary. sin(x) for example.
<snip>

> These are not significant problems for those of us who use the language rather than fighting it.

I have a friend whose country house has electricity, gas,
telephone, and wifi/internet.
But he heats his house with a wood burning stove.
He apparently does not find this a significant problem.
Sometimes there is no accounting for tastes.

RJF

Date Subject Author
1/11/13
Read Mathematica and Lisp
amzoti
1/12/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/12/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/14/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/14/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/18/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/22/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/22/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/24/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/25/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
W. Craig Carter
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/18/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/31/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Noqsi
2/2/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Daniel Lichtblau
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/2/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Andrzej Kozlowski
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/8/13
Read Palette problem with Feynman slash notation
Dave Snead
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Bill Rowe