Topic: Why schools used to be better
Replies: 25   Last Post: Mar 9, 2013 1:05 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why schools used to be better

Joe Niederberger posted Mar 3, 2013 2:17 AM (GSC's remarks interspersed):
> >How can something be "central to human endeavor" if
> so few humans posses the ability?
>
> Such a mystery he poses.

Ah, the sweet mystery of 'life itself'!

I seem to recall, though I shall not try to provide appropriate links to those messages, that Robert Hansen and Haim had been claiming that the ability to do math (and suchlike) is rather rare, or restricted to 'especially talented' people. I on the other hand believe that, in lesser or greater measure, the 'math ability' is innate in all human beings (though we may not recognise it, or recogise it as a 'specific math ability').

> That math is central, though, is obvious to anyone
> with a little imagination: just start to imagine a
> world without it.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Indeed. I fully agree, though one of my recent postings could possibly have been interpreted to give some other impression.

GSC