Topic: Why schools used to be better
Replies: 25   Last Post: Mar 9, 2013 1:05 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why schools used to be better

Anna Roys posted Mar 5, 2013 7:29 AM:

> Hi all,
>
> As a teacher, I find myself wanting to constantly
> assess, check for
> understanding on the fly, as I go;

Indeed. There is (and should be) this kind of 'assessing' and 'checking' going on all the time. Little of this is quantitative. Most of it is, I believe, the sudden 'look of comprehension' ("EUREKA!") that appears on the student's face when he/she has 'got' a new concept. I am not a professional teacher myself - but I've seen it and it is truly the most rewarding part of teaching (IMHO).

(Probably more often,) the puzzled looks on the student faces shows the teacher what he/she needs to do to enable/ ensure comprehension.

>I find it very
> valuable, as this can
> inform me on where re-teaching may be needed.

Indeed!

> My educational philosophy is
> for mastery of content, not just a lot of content
> coverage at superficial
> levels. Informal assessments are great, however,
> there are times I think
> the summative assessments may not reflect true
> pictures of student
> abilities and achievement levels.

If by 'summative' you mean 'quantitative', I agree entirely!

>Notice I do not see
> abilities as
> achievement levels. To me the ability is the ability
> to learn, the purpose
> of life, which all humans are born with and may be
> developed, whereas,
> achievement levels are what we see on the summative
> test scores.

Perfect!

GSC