Topic: Please help me with the following question
Replies: 78   Last Post: Mar 25, 2013 1:38 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Please help me with the following question

Your problem is (fairly) well defined and the answer is a binary search. But the bicycle problem was, as Wayne pointed out, very poorly defined. It was barely even mathematical. I am at a loss as to why the author didn't shore it up so that it was a mathematical problem. When I pose a problem and someone notes my mistake, I usually reply "Ha, you're right. Ok so these are the new conditions." It is cases like this when you realize that there are two ideas of "mathematics" out there.

Bob Hansen

On Mar 7, 2013, at 10:22 AM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> This reminds me of the old problem of having twelve coins: 11 identical, and 1 counterfeit that is just a tad heavier or lighter than the rest. Determine in 3 weighings or less the identity of the counterfeit coin using only a pan balance (in the usual manner - no tricky stuff here, such as you can't tell any difference by the feel in your hands or biting etc.)
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Date Subject Author
2/24/13
Read Please help me with the following question
hydraflap
2/24/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Richard Strausz
2/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
James Elander
2/27/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Wayne Bishop
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/5/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
johnykeets
3/7/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/7/13
[...]
3/8/13
[...]
3/9/13
[...]
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/9/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/11/13
[...]
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
VALERY