Topic: Why schools used to be better
Replies: 25   Last Post: Mar 9, 2013 1:05 AM

James Elander

Re: Why schools used to be better

Teaching Math
It was Harold Fawcett, one day when we were walking around the Mormon
Square in Salt Lake City, who made a statement I have never forgot. He
said, "It is not how much you cover but how much you uncover."
It was B Peirce. who defined Math as: "The science of drawing
necessary conclusions." Which brings up the question, What are
conclusions based on? (All conclusions are based on undefined terms,
defined terms, basic assumptions, and previous conclusions or laws and
in Math theorems.)
The check list, put out by the NCTM in1947, with a few additions is
appropriate today as then. (Most people do not understand the forms of
implications and valid or invalidity
A teacher needs to feel that their subject is the most valuable and
sells the subject to the students as needed for success. Yes, a
teacher is a salesman.
I could go on!

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Lou Talman posted Mar 2, 2013 1:22 AM (delay because i'D not opened Math-teach for a few days):
>> On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 08:43:47 -0700, GS Chandy
>> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>> > I personally believe that the 'quantitative
>> techniques' (and
>> > tools/processes) are not really relevant or
>> appropriate to apply to
>> > human beings and their problem-solving or learning
>> processes.
>>
>> Here I must disagree. Mathematics has been, is, and
>> will remain, central
>> to human endeavor; it is one of only two effective
>> tools we have for
>> manipulating ideas.
>>

> But I completely agree that mathematics is surely central to human endeavour! However, mathematics is more than numbers, or 'quantitative techniques'.
>
> I certainly should have phrased my ideas more accurately (/exactly?): I still do believe that the 'quantitative techniques' have to follow on acquiring basic 'tools for thought', and this was what I was trying to communicate. (Warfield's 'modeling approach, outlined in the attachment "What is Modeling?" - provided with my post to which you're responding - reflects this idea). I must make my belief clear that a great deal of our failures - in society; in organizations; as individuals - stem from our tendency to seek out numbers before we have adequately understood the 'qualitative aspects of the system under consideration'. THAT was the point I was trying to make in my previous 'miscommunication'! (I don't know whether I have succeeded in making it even now - see below).
>
> Very often, we find there could be errors in basic thinking 'below the numbers', so to speak, that may be source(s) of confusion; equally, there could easily be errors in communication even when the thinking may be correct. For instance, the inexactness in the way I phrased my (prose) response above had created this particular confusion, for which I apologise - though my 'mental model' of what I had wished to communicate was quite clear (to me, at least!)
>
> I also claim that it is very easy indeed to mis-communicate when we depend *entirely* on what I describe as the 'prose mode' of communication. We can quite significantly reduce such mis-communication (and misunderstanding of ideas attempted to be communicated) by using 'prose + structural graphics' (p+sg), where models constructed using 'structural graphics' help to elucidate the relationships perceived between factors in the 'system' under consideration: these perceived relationships often remain rather ambiguous or are hidden in prose mode communications. At Math-teach we are alas restricted entirely to communication in 'pure prose': this, I have claimed, is often a source of quite serious disputes.

> [...]

- --
Jim

Jim has 5 new CDs on the market.
CD1:TGIF MATH (A 100+ activities to make a hectic math
period on days like prior to homecoming into an rewarding
learning day.)
CD2: EVERYDAY DECISION MAKING VIA GEOMETRY
ESSENTIALS (A Logical development of the essentials
of PL. & Solid Geometry and applying it to decision
making.)
CD3: EVERYDAY DECISION MAKING VIA MATHEMATICAL
BRIDGES FOR A BETTER FUTURE (Liberal Art
"bridges" emphasizing critical thinking.)
CD4: EVERYDAY DECISION MAKING FOR A BETTER
CAREER (Mathematical topics needed for skills and for
better decisions)
CD5: BASIC HIGH SCHOOL MATH REVIEW (Review for SAT,
ACT or other tests with Dec ision Making skills)
For more info:
http://sites.google.com/site/mathfordecisionmaking/