Topic: Please help me with the following question
Replies: 78   Last Post: Mar 25, 2013 1:38 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Please help me with the following question

Joe Niederberger posted Mar 8, 2013 1:34 AM (GSC's remarks follow):
> >if not then the heavier one is the heavier one.
>
> lol^2
>
> You don't know if the counterfeit is heavier or
> lighter.
> Your algorithm doesn't work, and you didn't stump me.
>
> (But, per your observation, any divide and conquer
> strategy might be loosely called "binary search" if
> the division is always into two roughly equal halves.
> My clarifications were for other readers. The details
> of such a strategy could get tricky though, best to
> fill them in, and contemplate. [In this case, see, in
> fact, that it doesn't work.])
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

In fact, lol^3.

I had just posted a response to Robert Hansen, suggesting that he should read more carefully.

I had omitted to suggest that he might usefully try and understand what 'binary search' really means.

GSC

Date Subject Author
2/24/13
Read Please help me with the following question
hydraflap
2/24/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Richard Strausz
2/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
James Elander
2/27/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Wayne Bishop
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/5/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
johnykeets
3/7/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/7/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/7/13
[...]
3/8/13
[...]
3/9/13
[...]
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/9/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/11/13
[...]
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
VALERY