Topic: Please help me with the following question
Replies: 78   Last Post: Mar 25, 2013 1:38 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Please help me with the following question

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Mar 8, 2013 8:04 AM:
> I must add though that the heart of my almost final
> solution was a binary search, but I could not
> collapse two steps into one.

(continued from previous)
Hint 2: It is always better, I believe, not to try to 'bluff' one's way out of situations. Just a useful rule, that may develop from Mark Twain's famous advice: "The best reason to tell the truth is that one doesn't have to remember ANYTHING" (words to that effect).

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

> On Mar 7, 2013, at 9:10 PM, Robert Hansen
> <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>

> > That is a very hard problem. I managed to figure
> out weighings 1 and 3 but could not complete that
> middle step. This is not a binary search, it is an
> exhaustive search.

> > Bob Hansen
> >
> > On Mar 7, 2013, at 4:35 PM, Joe Niederberger

> <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> By the way, the twelve coin problem is a real
> classic -- my father told me it when I was about 10.
> >> Its easy enough to find a solution using Google,
> but as a courtesy to those who want to tough it out -
> please don't post a real solution here without the
> word "SPOILER" up front!

> >> Cheers,
> >> Joe N

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
2/24/13
Read Please help me with the following question
hydraflap
2/24/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Richard Strausz
2/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
James Elander
2/27/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Wayne Bishop
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/5/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
johnykeets
3/7/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/7/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/7/13
[...]
3/8/13
[...]
3/9/13
[...]
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/9/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/11/13
[...]
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
VALERY