Topic: Would this be your daughter?
Replies: 22   Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 11:04 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Would this be your daughter?

Lou Talman posted Mar 6, 2013 10:52 PM:

> On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 21:10:25 -0700, Robert Hansen
> <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>

> > ... That does not happen by chance.
> >
> > Bob Hansen

> It also doesn't happen because an overweening parent
> refuses to "allow" it.
>
> --Louis A. Talman
> Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State University of Denver
>
> <http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>

In 'parenting' (as in 'teaching'), there seem to be two very different (indeed, opposing) philosophies at work.

One of those philosophies, call it 'A', says:

"Don't be overweening (as a parent, or as a teacher)". [This happens to be the philosophy to which I personally subscribe].

The opposing philosophy, call it 'B', says:

"Don't be 'UNDERweening' (as a parent, or as a teacher)".

QUESTIONS:
=========
Is it possible for adherents of these opposing philosophies ever to meet in a reasonable and friendly way, discuss issues over a cup of coffee, go out for a beer together Friday evenings, send their respective children to sleepovers at the homes of children of people belonging to the opposing faction, and so on and so forth?

Interesting questions, in my view. Possibly worthy of some research attention?

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy