Topic: norm
Replies: 8   Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 1:45 PM

quasi

Re: norm

David C. Ullrich wrote:
>quasi wrote:
>>novis wrote:

>>>Well I was talking about A transpose x or ||A'x||. Can you please
>>>show how ||x||=||A'x||?

>>OK, I missed your use of the symbol ' denoting transpose.
>>
>>So A' is a map from R^p to R^q.
>>
>>As before, since A is columnwise orthonormal, rank(A) = q,
>>hence p >= q.
>>
>>For x in R^p, A'x is in R^q, and yes, it's true that
>>
>> |A'x| = |x|.

>I don't think so...

Me neither.

My answer was a hurried one -- I was on my way out.

A simple counterexample:

Let A be the 3 x 2 matrix

( 0 0 )
A = ( 1 0 )
( 0 1 )

Then A is columnwise orthonormal.

Let x be the 3 x 1 column vector

( 1 )
x = ( 0 )
( 0 )

Then |x| = 1 but A'x = 0.

In fact, if A is any p x q columnwise orthonormal matrix, then
rank(A) = q, hence p >= q. Suppose p > q. Then the columns of
A' are linearly dependent, hence there is some nonzero vector
x in R^p such that A'x = 0, and thus, for that x, the norm of
x is not the same as norm of A'x.

On the other hand, if p = q, then A columnwise orthonormal
implies A is also rowwise orthonormal, consequently,
assuming p = q, we do have

for all x in R^p.

If p > q, we can at least say

for all x in R^p.