Topic: Would this be your daughter?
Replies: 22   Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 11:04 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Would this be your daughter?

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Mar 10, 2013 6:53 AM (GSC's remarks interspersed):

> On Mar 9, 2013, at 4:10 PM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > "Don't be overweening (as a parent, or as a
> teacher)". [This happens to be the philosophy to
> which I personally subscribe].
>
> Not allowing your son or daughter to be bilked out of
> $300k for a degree not even worth $30k is not being
> overweening.

There is a significant difference between "INFLUENCING" and "ALLOWING". Check any dictionary.

>That is like asking me if I would allow
> my son or daughter to jump out of an airplane without
> a parachute.

I wouldn't ask you that at all.

I would like to believe (and, indeed, take it for granted) that ordinary common sense influences provided all through your son's/daughter's earlier life would have provided him/her sufficient common sense (and ability to judge such a situation) so that he/she would not need to be PREVENTED FORCIBLY from "jumping out of an airplane without a parachute".

If I'm wrong, I would think there is little point to human existence.

>This isn't about philosophy, it is
> simply about how to be successful at being a parent.

Indeed.

It is also about what I call "common sense".

And also about the meanings and implications of words such as "ALLOW" and "INFLUENCE", and perhaps that of the word "successful" as well. I seem to recall that, way back in the happy days when Haim was still with us, you had once gotten yourself into some serious foncusion about a rather simple and common word in its most common usage (the specific word I do not now recall and I lack the time and inclination to search for it. Perhaps you might like to do the needful??? In the interests of honesty and completeness of our discussion, of course).

The point may be that perhaps a pre-requisite for any discussion with you is to present you with a reliable dictionary for commonly used words. But good dictionaries are already freely available on the Internet!

So perhaps I am not exactly "on the ball" with my surmise.

> It is also about simple common sense. That author
> crying about the $300k it is costing him or his
> daughter or both reminds me of this guy that lost
> $400k to Nigerian scammers...

Indeed, common sense, that truly WONDROUS virtue!

(Perhaps - as you are bringing 'Nigerian scamsters' into play - we might also bring to mind the 'common sense' of the US as a whole, which lost several TTTTTrillion dollars to the scams perpetrated upon it by GW Bush, your then-POTUS... well, we Indians too have lost plenty due to our politicians - not THAT much, to be sure!)

> http://www.livescience.com/27764-phone-lottery-scam.ht
> ml

I have not yet looked at this story. Shall try and look at it later.

> Mind you, this was not a scam that happened all at
> once. This idiot kept sending money for promises of
> phony prizes for years. Just like the tuition story.

Indeed.

Was that somewhat like how the US kept electing GW Bush as POTUS? That too was not a scam that happened all at once. He was elected once (under rather dubious circumstances in 2000, as I recall).

He promptly made a fool out of himself AND the USA by attacking Afghanistan in totally foolish bravado - when there was a far better alternative presented to him as a recommended riposte to the crime of 9/11 (see: "Avoid Osama's trap", by Bernard Haykel - http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/2001/09/25/stories/05252523.htm ).

Then he became a full-scale War Criminal by attacking Saddam Hussein's Iraq on specious grounds of WMD (and other such love stories). What happened after that? The USA then promptly re-elected him in 2004!!! Well, I guess we should be thankful that at least - because of 'norms' and probably the US Constitution as well - GW Bush was not "allowed" (see earlier discussion) to stand again in 2008...

I now observe that Lou Talman has made a rather telling response to your message, which I probably would have been wise to have looked at earlier. I guess I should learn better to follow my own thoughts about common sense and other such virtues. I MUST try harder...

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")