Topic: Please help me with the following question
Replies: 78   Last Post: Mar 25, 2013 1:38 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Please help me with the following question

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Mar 10, 2013 6:37 AM (GSC's remarks follow):

> I was looking for a strategy. Yes, post game analysis
> is not the same thing, I am talking about all of the
> steps prior to the "solution". This may be simply a
> communication issue (or some other issue) between us.
> I have never had a problem discussing "strategy" with
> other problem solvers.
>
> Bob Hansen

You did indeed ask me for the 'strategy' I had used to tackle a little puzzle I had managed successfully to solve when I was 10 0r 11 years old (over half-a-century ago).

To my mind, such a hunt for 'strategy' does not represent a highly productive or even meaningful approach to enlightenment of any kind on the issue.

Nevertheless, I did try in the following to respond to your demand for a 'strategy':

- -- http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8582530
and
- -- http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8584357
(Some of this is probably based on what I may have learned about 'problem solving' in the years since - it is almost certainly not the real and pure 'strategy' I might have then employed to solve that problem).

The above notes on 'strategy' are apart from the actual solution of the '12-coin problem' which I had provided at:
- -- http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8575196
(Due to severe pressures on my time, I had not written up the complete solution; but what I did provide was ample to show the way).

I really do not believe I can do much better in providing you with information about any 'strategy' I might have employed over 50 years ago to solve that particular problem.

I do know a fair bit about developing 'strategy' in problem situations: in fact, my OPMS could well be described as a practical tool to help stakeholders in complex issues develop effective strategies to arrive at resolution of their problems. But I'm sorry I am unable to meet your high standards in discussing 'strategy'.

For more ideas on 'strategy', perhaps the illuminating links that Joe Niederberger had provided may be useful. (See his messages at: http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8575081 ; http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8575195 ;) Those links, based on columns by Martin Gardner and others, may of course not meet your high standards. Please do let me know if you come across any better 'strategies'.

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

Date Subject Author
2/24/13
Read Please help me with the following question
hydraflap
2/24/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Richard Strausz
2/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
James Elander
2/27/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Wayne Bishop
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/5/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
johnykeets
3/7/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/7/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/7/13
[...]
3/8/13
[...]
3/9/13
[...]
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/9/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/11/13
[...]
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
VALERY