Topic: Matheology § 222 Back to the roots
Replies: 606   Last Post: Apr 18, 2013 2:04 AM

Virgil

Re: Matheology � 222 Back to the roots

In article
<d3568315-ae62-4f7b-aa9e-8b7cfe123be7@u2g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 12 Mrz., 11:08, William Hughes <wpihug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mar 12, 10:19 am, WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> >

> > > On 12 Mrz., 00:51, William Hughes <wpihug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

> > > There is no |N in potential infinity.
> >
> > |N is the potentially infinite set of natural numbers.
> >

> The "potentially infinite set" is already a contradictio in adjecto,
> because the notion of set always requires completenes.

The notion of set only requires an unambiguous test for membership, at
least outside of Wolkenmuekenheim. And |N has one.

> > > There is a problem with the statement, of actual infinity, that all
> > > natural numbers are in the list but not in any single line.

> > Note, in Wolkenmuekenheim
> > all natural numbers are in the list but not in any single
> > findable line.

> No, there are not *all* natural numbers in any healthy mathematical
> theory. Have you read hundreds of posts without learning that basic
> stuff?

It is WM who has not learned the basic stuff about sets, that there can
be no such thing as a potentially infinite set, because there can be no
unambiguous test for whether given object is a member of such a "set".

> > There is no difference between "actual" and potential
> > infinity as long as we restrict things to
> > findable quantities.

> If you are incapable of learning what potential infinity means, as it
> is suggested by your statements above, then your assertion is
> understandable but nevertheless wrong.

It is WM who has not learned the basic stuff about sets, that there can
be no such thing as a potentially infinite set, because there can be no
unambiguous test for whether given object is a member of such a "set".

> Actual infinity requires that *all* natural numbers are in the list
> but not in a single line. That is a contradiction.

Only in WMytheology. When there is a first line as a set and every
successor line is the successor set then as soon as there is the set of
all lines there is a union of all those line-sets.

In WM's world, it appears to be a requirement to allow a set of sets for
which no union of its members is allowed.

> Since they are, in
> fact, not in a single line (since there is no last findable line),
> only the other alternative

For any set of lines, each of which is, among other things, a set, then
in any and every standard set theory, there must be a union of all the
lines/sets in that set, whether those lines/sets are "findable" or not.

At least everywhere in standard mathematics, however skewered
WMYTHEOLOGY may get.

WM has frequently claimed that a mapping from the set of all infinite
binary sequences to the set of paths of a CIBT is a linear mapping.
In order to show that such a mapping is a linear mapping, WM must first
show that the set of all binary sequences is a vector space and that the
set of paths of a CIBT is also a vector space, which he has not done and
apparently cannot do, and then show that his mapping satisfies the
linearity requirement that
f(ax + by) = af(x) + bf(y),
where a and b are arbitrary members of a field of scalars and x and y
are f(x) and f(y) are vectors in suitable linear spaces.

By the way, WM, what are a, b, ax, by and ax+by when x and y are binary
sequences?

If a = 1/3 and x is binary sequence, what is ax ?
and if f(x) is a path in a CIBT, what is af(x)?

Until these and a few other issues are settled, WM will still have
failed to justify his claim of a LINEAR mapping from the set (but not
yet proved to be vector space) of binary sequences to the set (but not
yet proved to be vector space) of paths ln a CIBT.

Just another of WM's many wild claims of what goes on in his WMytheology
that he cannot back up.
--

Date Subject Author
2/7/13