Topic: Please help me with the following question
Replies: 78   Last Post: Mar 25, 2013 1:38 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Please help me with the following question

Further GSC's post of Mar 13, 2013 7:43 AM (pasted below my signature for ready reference):

The solution arrived at via the above strategy is seen (in part - the most important part is shown) at:
http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8575196 .

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

GSC posted Mar 13, 2013 7:43 AM
> Robert Hansen (RH) posted Mar 12, 2013 7:24 AM
> (GSC's remarks follow):

> > On Mar 11, 2013, at 5:26 PM, Joe Niederberger
> > <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:
> >

> > > Now I have no idea what you are claiming.
> >
> > Let me ask you this. You don't see how there is an
> > attribute to this problem that when you go in one
> > direction you are losing ground and when you go in
> > another you are gaining ground or at least holding
> > your own (because this problem is pretty tight)?

> Many
> > problems have this attribute. That is the "problem
> > solving" strategy I am talking about.
> >
> > Bob Hansen
> >

> GOT IT!
>
> I now understand that the strategy I had used for the
> '12-Coin Problem" (when I had nailed it at age 10 or
> 11 over half a century ago) was like so:
>
> Step A of strategy:
> When I tried one way, I gained ground.
>
> When I tried another way, I lost ground.
>
> Step B of strategy:
> So I chose the way that helped me gain ground.
>
> Step C:
> Again, I found that,
> - -- when I went one way, I gained ground.
> - -- when I went the other way, I lost ground.
> Once again, I chose the way that enabled me to gain
> ground.
>
> REPEAT from Step A. (ad infinitum if required).
>
> The problem was solved!
>
> Many thanks for these 'Helpful Hints on Strategy'.
>
> I do believe all is now clear?
>
> GSC
> ("Still Shoveling!")

Date Subject Author
2/24/13
Read Please help me with the following question
hydraflap
2/24/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Richard Strausz
2/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
James Elander
2/27/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Wayne Bishop
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/5/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
johnykeets
3/7/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/7/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/7/13
[...]
3/8/13
[...]
3/9/13
[...]
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/9/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/11/13
[...]
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
VALERY