Topic: Please help me with the following question
Replies: 78   Last Post: Mar 25, 2013 1:38 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Please help me with the following question

So it seems that you are missing the point I am making. Mathematics is like magic. When some talk about magic they are talking about the tricks while a few talk about the art itself. I am talking about the art.

Bob Hansen

On Mar 13, 2013, at 1:01 AM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Further GSC's post of Mar 13, 2013 7:43 AM (pasted below my signature for ready reference):
>
> The solution arrived at via the above strategy is seen (in part - the most important part is shown) at:
> http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8575196 .
>
> GSC
> ("Still Shoveling!")
>
> GSC posted Mar 13, 2013 7:43 AM

>> Robert Hansen (RH) posted Mar 12, 2013 7:24 AM
>> (GSC's remarks follow):

>>> Let me ask you this. You don't see how there is an
>>> attribute to this problem that when you go in one
>>> direction you are losing ground and when you go in
>>> another you are gaining ground or at least holding
>>> your own (because this problem is pretty tight)?

>> Many
>>> problems have this attribute. That is the "problem
>>> solving" strategy I am talking about.
>>>
>>> Bob Hansen

>> GOT IT!
>>
>> I now understand that the strategy I had used for the
>> '12-Coin Problem" (when I had nailed it at age 10 or
>> 11 over half a century ago) was like so:
>>
>> Step A of strategy:
>> When I tried one way, I gained ground.
>>
>> When I tried another way, I lost ground.
>>
>> Step B of strategy:
>> So I chose the way that helped me gain ground.
>>
>> Step C:
>> Again, I found that,
>> - -- when I went one way, I gained ground.
>> - -- when I went the other way, I lost ground.
>> Once again, I chose the way that enabled me to gain
>> ground.
>>
>> REPEAT from Step A. (ad infinitum if required).
>>
>> The problem was solved!
>>
>> Many thanks for these 'Helpful Hints on Strategy'.
>>
>> I do believe all is now clear?
>>
>> GSC
>> ("Still Shoveling!")

Date Subject Author
2/24/13
Read Please help me with the following question
hydraflap
2/24/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Richard Strausz
2/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
James Elander
2/27/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Wayne Bishop
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/5/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
johnykeets
3/7/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/7/13
[...]
3/8/13
[...]
3/9/13
[...]
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/9/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/11/13
[...]
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
VALERY