Topic: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Replies: 53   Last Post: Mar 18, 2013 9:33 PM

fom

Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction

On 3/13/2013 9:57 AM, JT wrote:
> On 13 mar, 15:48, JT <jonas.thornv...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> And of course the sum of members in the set
>>> {0.333...,0.333...,0,333...}!=1 since 1/3 can not be expressed in
>>> decimal change base use ternary or use fractions. The label 0.333...
>>> express a number that is not available in decimal base, since it is
>>> impossible to partition a single natural entity in such away that 1/3
>>> is reached.

>> Plato did understand the difference between naturals and the parts
>> that make them up alot better then modern mathematicians, thus he
>> understood the principles of partitioning and thus recognized that
>> fractions was the only way to deal with decimal expansion with out
>> losing digits since there is no base system that can express all
>> possible fractions.

> And the truth that Plato understood but that modern mathematicians
> clueless about is that naturals is a countable bottom up approach thus
> they must be discrete in nature, and following this that each natural
> have a magnitude that could be partitioned, but he also understood the
> drawbacks of using a base for partition because he realised that in a
> continum there is an endless amount cuts can be made and there is no
> single base number system that can express them all, and from that he
> draw the conclusion that fractions was the only way to deal with parts
> of a single discrete natural entity.

You really just go on and on...

Like the energizer bunny.

Aristotle disagreed with Plato long before Western mathematics
considered the possibility of 0. Since Aristotle, at least,
mathematicians have had to make choices as to whose authority
they would follow if they chose not to follow their own ideas.

Even then, the very words you use in your criticisms probably
originate from the work of Vieta (one must have polynomials
before one recognizes the general form of a base). It is with
Vieta that geometric magnitudes and monadic units are treated
uniformly as numbers.

You need to make your criticisms without using the mathematics
with which you disagree.

Date Subject Author
3/8/13
Read 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
3/9/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
bacle
3/9/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Pfsszxt@aol.com
3/12/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/12/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
3/12/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/12/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
3/12/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
3/13/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
YBM
3/13/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/13/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/14/13
[...]
3/16/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
3/16/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/13/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/14/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Transfer Principle
3/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/18/13
[...]
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/13/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
harold james