Topic: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Replies: 53   Last Post: Mar 18, 2013 9:33 PM

JT

Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction

On 13 mar, 20:07, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> On 3/13/2013 9:57 AM, JT wrote:

> >> Plato did understand the difference between naturals and the parts
> >> that make them up alot better then modern mathematicians, thus he
> >> understood the  principles of partitioning and thus recognized that
> >> fractions was the only way to deal with decimal expansion with out
> >> losing digits since there is no base system that can express all
> >> possible fractions.

> > And the truth that Plato understood but that modern mathematicians
> > clueless about is that naturals is a countable bottom up approach thus
> > they must be discrete in nature, and following this that each natural
> > have a magnitude that could be partitioned, but he also understood the
> > drawbacks of using a base for partition because he realised that in a
> > continum there is an endless amount cuts can be made and there is no
> > single base number system that can express them all, and from that he
> > draw the conclusion that fractions was the only way to deal with parts
> > of a single discrete natural entity.

> You really just go on and on...
>
> Like the energizer bunny.
>
> Aristotle disagreed with Plato long before Western mathematics
> considered the possibility of 0.  Since Aristotle, at least,
> mathematicians have had to make choices as to whose authority
> they would follow if they chose not to follow their own ideas.
>
> Even then, the very words you use in your criticisms probably
> originate from the work of Vieta (one must have polynomials
> before one recognizes the general form of a base).  It is with
> Vieta that geometric magnitudes and monadic units are treated
> uniformly as numbers.
>
> You need to make your criticisms without using the mathematics
> with which you disagree.

You still think this describe a set don't you.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/9/5/c/95c836ee6d1d7a0b8a468ce0c7d194bd.png

Well it doesn't it has two errors and one infinite.
http://www.nyan.cat/jazz.php
Clues to be found in the song.

Date Subject Author
3/8/13
Read 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
3/9/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
bacle
3/9/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Pfsszxt@aol.com
3/12/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/12/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
3/12/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/12/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
3/12/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
3/13/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
YBM
3/13/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/13/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/14/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/14/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/12/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
bacle
3/12/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Virgil
3/13/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
fom
3/13/13
[...]
3/16/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
byron
3/16/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/13/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/14/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
Transfer Principle
3/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/18/13
[...]
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/13/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
JT
3/15/13
Read Re: 0.9999... = 1 that means mathematics ends in contradiction
harold james