Topic: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Replies: 77   Last Post: Mar 19, 2013 11:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?

In article <024bf074-c1c1-4a99-ad5d-bc592ef0375e@googlegroups.com>,
david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:17:06 AM UTC-7, fom wrote:
>

> > For example, Wittgenstein understood perfectly
> > well how to apply Cantor's argument and he
> > certainly is not thought of as believing in
> > a completed infinity.

> Here's an "acceptable" use of the diagonal argument: Given a provably
> well-defined list of provably well-defined real numbers (so that every digit
> of every number on the list can provably be computed), the diagonal argument
> gives us a new provably well-defined real number not on the list.
>
> Notice that that argument doesn't require the use of an actual infinite.
>

> > However, he also did not attack the mathematicians
> > who conducted investigations along those lines.

> He most certainly did mock them.
>

> FWIW, I was motivated to start this thread after reading an article you wrote
> about problems you had in your encounters with mathematicians who didn't
> accept your ideas. I'd like to know a little more about that, although I
> admit you really have no obligation to tell us more if you don't want to.
>
> The mathematics community has simply lost touch with reality.

Physicists may insist that mathematics be limited to what they regard as
"reality". But mathematicians needn't.
--

Date Subject Author
3/14/13
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/17/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
3/17/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/18/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/18/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
3/19/13
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
[...]
harold james
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Jesse F. Hughes
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/16/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/16/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
3/16/13
[...]
Read Re: WM's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/17/13