Topic: Update static text for Guide Gui from main matlab function
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 14, 2013 11:55 PM

Kristin

Re: Update static text for Guide Gui from main matlab function

"Ioan Alexandru" wrote in message <khqo77$kel$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> Dear Community,
>
> I've been going round and round the Matlab documentation and available threads for some time now and I couldn't manage to find a solution to this:
> Let's say I have function A.m and GUI.m. A.m has one big function with lots of things in it. GUI.m is the Guide Gui Matlab file which contains all the functions for CreateFcn, Callback, etc. When I run A.m from GUI.m (suppose I call A.m when I press a button from GUI), function A.m obviously will start doing stuff. However, I want to be able to change, for example, the text in a static text box of the GUI.m from within A.m while it is running. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a solution to this. Most threads revolve around calling an external function from within , let's say, a callback gui function.
> I would really appreciate your support. Thank you very much.
>
> Regards,
> Alex
>
> P.S.: is there a way of doing it in a simple was as?:
> %line in A.m
> GUI(set(handle.statictext,'String','EUREKA'));
>
> I understand that the GUI functions are "nested" so inaccessible to the A.m but I was hopping that there would be a way of calling the handles in something similar to this. The expectation is fairly simple: I want to change the content of a GUI static text box from any external function I wish: even command line.
> Thank you

To change the text from within the A.m function, you will need the handle of the text box:
set(handle, 'String', 'I just modified it.');

If you do not have this and need it, then you need to rewrite your program. Sorry to be so blunt...

But, a really crappy way to do this is to get the children of the figure and search for the one you want, perhaps by the properties Tag, Style, String, Position, or UserData. Hopefully it has some property that differs from the other uicontrol objects.