Topic: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Replies: 77   Last Post: Mar 19, 2013 11:02 PM

Jesse F. Hughes

Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?

david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:35:13 PM UTC-7, Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
>

>> Okay, so Fermat's last theorem is, in your view, a properly
>> mathematical statement, while it's negation doesn't belong in
>> mathematics.

> Why don't you tell me where I can look up the definition of
> "properly mathematical statement", and then I'll get back to you on
> that. Or threaten to quit "debating" with me. That would be nice
> too.

I assumed that this relationship between "falsifiability" and
mathematics allowed one to distinguish non-mathematical claims from
mathematical claims. If not, what role does falsifiability play? In
science, it distinguishes scientific hypotheses from non-scientific.

I also assumed that you aimed to spark discussion of your ideas by
posting them here. I didn't realize you instead anticipated that on
this, the 97th round of the same ol' shit, everyone on sci.math would
finally meekly agree with you and the old guard would be overthrown.

So, I guess I was wrong twice. My response should have been, "Why,
yes, David, that's very insightful! I agree! Let's kick them evil
Cantorians out of our beautiful ivory towers."

So, let's pretend I said that, if that's what you really want.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"If the car stops and you're not getting out, then you have to start

Date Subject Author
3/14/13
Read Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/17/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
3/17/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/18/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/18/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
3/19/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
[...]
harold james
[...]
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/16/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/16/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
3/16/13
[...]
Read Re: WM's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/17/13