Topic: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Replies: 23   Last Post: Mar 25, 2013 4:54 PM

Peter Spellucci

Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring

Math Guy <Math@Guy.com> writes:
>Math Guy wrote:
>

>> A closed loop (an irregular ring) is defined by a set of n points
>> in space.
>>
>> The way I see it, there are two ways to understand the concept of
>> the area of this ring...

>Thanks for all the responses.
>
>The points are markers on the mitral valve annulus of research subjects.
>
>The desired area is thus the aperture or opening of the valve.
>
>We will probably go with calculating a centroid and then summing the
>areas of the triangles formed from the centroid to the perimeter
>markers.
>
>The more "elegant" method (I would think, given the objective) would be
>to project this opening to a flat plane, and then measure the area of
>the projection. One way to imagine this plane is the "plane of best
>fit" from the given points (a plane where the sum of the squared
>differences of the distances from each point to the plane is minimized).
>
>Once the plane is known, the points are translated to the coordinate
>system of the plane, their Z coordinates are ignored or dropped, and
>this becomes a 2-dimensional area calculation.

use something like odrpack from netlib (or in this simple case, the svd )
compute the plane of least sum of orthogonal distances squared ,
project your points to this plane, compute the centroid, construct the triangles
(in the plane now) and you get a lower bound for the surface in question
with such a small number of points you might use this here:
http://numawww.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de
in the section ''least squares'' there is the svd solution to compute the plane.
hth
peter

Date Subject Author
3/12/13
Read Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Math Guy
3/13/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Ray Koopman
3/13/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Narasimham
3/14/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Narasimham
3/13/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
3/13/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Frederick Williams
3/13/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Brian Q. Hutchings
3/14/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Math Guy
3/15/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Ray Koopman
3/15/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Math Guy
3/15/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
fom
3/16/13
[...]
3/17/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Ray Koopman
3/17/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Math Guy
3/18/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Ray Koopman
3/25/13
Read Re: Calculating the area of a closed 3-D path or ring
Gib Bogle