The Math Forum

Topic: ZFC is inconsistent
Replies: 54   Last Post: Mar 23, 2013 9:02 PM

Virgil

Re: ZFC is inconsistent

In article
<3e85e851-e926-4564-a6fe-68ba9270b39a@g16g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 13 Mrz., 18:40, Frederick Williams <freddywilli...@btinternet.com>
> wrote:

> > Some mathematicians do reject the
> > axiom of choice, but I do not know if any have done so because of
> > Banach-Tarski.

> Every mathematician does so! Notwithstanding any intermediate
> abracadabra the result is that v = 2V and that is wrong in
> mathematics.

The 'number' of points in one sphere equals the 'number' of points in
sphere with twice the radius, so that v = 4v, even in ordinary geometry,
without any axiom of choice required.

> > I suspect that a good many, on first hearing of the Banach-Tarski
> > paradox, thought 'Wow! How about that! Isn't mathematics fun?'  And
> > perhaps: 'So what happens if Choice is false? Do any loopy things happen
> > in that case?'  Meanwhile, note that if set theory is consistent, one
> > may safely assume either Choice or its negation.

> ZF is not consistent if this result is correct.

Says someone who claims linearity but cannot prove it.

WM has frequently claimed that a mapping from the set of all infinite
binary sequences to the set of paths of a CIBT is a linear mapping.
In order to show that such a mapping is a linear mapping, WM must first
show that the set of all binary sequences is a vector space and that the
set of paths of a CIBT is also a vector space, which he has not done and
apparently cannot do, and then show that his mapping satisfies the
linearity requirement that
f(ax + by) = af(x) + bf(y),
where a and b are arbitrary members of a field of scalars and x and y
are f(x) and f(y) are vectors in suitable linear spaces.

By the way, WM, what are a, b, ax, by and ax+by when x and y are binary
sequences?

If a = 1/3 and x is binary sequence, what is ax ?
and if f(x) is a path in a CIBT, what is af(x)?

Until these and a few other issues are settled, WM will still have
failed to justify his claim of a LINEAR mapping from the set (but not
yet proved to be vector space) of binary sequences to the set (but not
yet proved to be vector space) of paths ln a CIBT.

Just another of WM's many wild claims of what goes on in his WMytheology
that he cannot back up.
--

Date Subject Author
3/13/13