Topic: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Replies: 77   Last Post: Mar 19, 2013 11:02 PM

fom

Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?

On 3/15/2013 7:16 PM, Virgil wrote:
> In article <4e23b96e-f161-4b54-b5af-0403893e2ec0@googlegroups.com>,
> david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> On Friday, March 15, 2013 6:18:08 AM UTC-7, Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
>>

>>> I assumed that this relationship between "falsifiability" and
>>> mathematics allowed one to distinguish non-mathematical claims from
>>> mathematical claims. If not, what role does falsifiability play? In
>>> science, it distinguishes scientific hypotheses from non-scientific.

>> Yes, exactly, I'm suggesting it would be reasonable to have falsifiability
>> play the same role in mathematics that it plays in science. Why do I need to
>> keep repeating that for you?

> The reason that falsifiability is useful in science is because
> scientific conjectures are about how the physical world works
> and such conjectures can be compared to the was the world is
> observed to work.
>
> But the theorems of mathematics are not about how the world works.
>
> A mathematical model of how the world works can be shown to be a false
> representation, but it may still be mathematically perfectly consistent
> and "true" as a model, just not a good model of that aspect of reality.
>
> Pure mathematicians are, by and large, not so much interested in how
> well a mathematical structure models some aspect of physical reality,
> where as applied mathematicians are, by and large, not so much
> interested in anything else.

Oddly, the two converge with what is
"true" in set theory to the extent that
foundational claims are given credence.

Date Subject Author
3/14/13
Read Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/17/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
3/17/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/18/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/18/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
3/19/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
[...]
harold james
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Jesse F. Hughes
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/16/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/16/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
3/16/13
[...]
Read Re: WM's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/17/13