Topic: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Replies: 77   Last Post: Mar 19, 2013 11:02 PM

fom

Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?

On 3/15/2013 7:27 PM, fom wrote:
> On 3/15/2013 6:28 PM, david petry wrote:
>> On Friday, March 15, 2013 6:18:08 AM UTC-7, Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
>>

>>> I assumed that this relationship between "falsifiability" and
>>> mathematics allowed one to distinguish non-mathematical claims from
>>> mathematical claims. If not, what role does falsifiability play? In
>>> science, it distinguishes scientific hypotheses from non-scientific.

>> Yes, exactly, I'm suggesting it would be reasonable to have
>> falsifiability play the same role in mathematics that it plays
> > in science. Why do I need to keep repeating that for you?
>>

> For all of us.
>
> One problem is that you have not expressed
> that in a way which is applicable to the
> context of performing mathematics -- of
> actually making assertions involving
> mathematical entities such as numbers
> and proving the assertions made.
>
> That is, in part, what Jesse is asking
> of you. And, he is asking that you explain
> to the point where he can implement it
> on a particular problem on his own.

And, by the way, Jesse is very
good at this kind of thing.

He helped me sort out a thing or
two when he correctly identified
something I was reading into a
passage on definitions from Aristotle.

He is asking you how one is to
approach mathematical questions
if his assumption,

"Because, I always assumed that if
any particular statement counts as
'mathematical', then so does its
negation."

fails.

Or, if your intended correction
to mathematical practice resolves
that issue some other way, then
it must include a theory of negation
powerful enough to discriminate
between

mathematics

not mathematics

Your claims concerning to
falsifiability pertain to
the use of negation and
he has identified a possible
starting point from which
you may explain yourself
more clearly.

Of course, he could be asking
much more of you. I should not
be speaking for him. But, you
seem frustrated and I thought
some interpretation of context
could help. I hope it is not
too mangled.

Date Subject Author
3/14/13
Read Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/17/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
3/17/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/18/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/18/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
3/19/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
[...]
harold james
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Jesse F. Hughes
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/16/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/16/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
3/16/13
[...]
Read Re: WM's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/17/13